Saturday, May 18, 2013

Saturday Shenanigans 18.05.2013

After the launch of the Red Shield Appeal for this year last Saturday, this week has seen us get a little busier than normal.

We started the week collecting at Bunnings (a local hardware store). Bunnings have kindly allowed The Salvation Army to have collectors there every day for the whole two weeks of the appeal and Sue volunteered to look after the roster. Of course we had to be the first with our names on it.

On Tuesday we were guest speakers at Home League. For those that don't know, Home League is part of The Salvation Army's Women's Ministries. Basically, a group of women, with nothing better to do, get together to have a cuppa, sing a few hymns and listen to someone interesting or go on outings to places of interest. This week they wanted to hear about Sue and my interest in knitting and crochet, see some of the things we have made and hear about our interest in craft markets. By all accounts, they enjoyed hearing what we had to say and we even sold a couple of items.

Tuesday afternoon I had an appointment with the Dental Prosthesist to check the fitting on my new dentures. The next time I go in, which will be in a couple of weeks, I should have my new dentures and have all the gaps in my mouth filled in. It has been a while since I could say that I had a full set of teeth so it will be a little different for a while.

On Wednesday we had a little mix up with the roster of collectors. The guy that was rostered on got there earlier than expected and got most upset when things weren't there for him to start. It seems that Sue got the time and arrangements mixed up. She thought he was supposed to start at 11.00am and work with me and he thought he was supposed to start at 10.00am and brought his own partner for the duration. The CO planned on taking over as soon as he finished with a meeting that he was part of and that meant that someone was needed to fill in for about half an hour, something that I was quite happy to do.

On Thursday we went to the doctors to find out the results of our blood tests. Sue's was OK this time although she had gained a little weight. For me, apart from the fact that I had also gained weight, the story was a little different. It seems that, as well as my cholesterol being a bad mix, I also have liver and prostate problems, which lead to further test testing. For the liver, it means going for an ultrasound to check to see if I have gallstones. I don't think I need to tell you what further testing was for the prostate. Needless to say, it wasn't comfortable.

Friday, apart from the usual crochet class (which none of the students attended this week), the Mirrumbeena Melody Makers (a little singing group that I'm part of) had a concert at Borella House (a old peoples home nearby). The residents not only got to hear us sing, they also got to hear me play a couple of tunes on my trombone. Everyone seemed to enjoy the concert and even said a few good things about my playing, so all was good.

Most of today was spent back at Bunnings, but this time we weren't just rattling collection boxes. We were running the barbecue. Bunnings Barbecues are a great little fundraiser. Bunnings provide the barbecue, gas, gazebo, tables and customers and we provide the rest (although the customers aren't guaranteed). Today was a great day. During the time that I was there, we had trouble keeping up with demand. People were buying sausage sandwiches quicker than I could cook the sausages.

So, that has been my action packed week this week. Next week doesn't look much different, except we won't be doing another concert, we both have appointments with the chiro, and we have Craft'n'Cuppa to look after as well as everything else.

I hope you all had a good week.

Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment