Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Week That Was 25-02-2012

Another week of college has passed and I learnt a lot of things that I will probably forget as soon as the course is finished. I have also learnt a few things that I'm sure will be quite useful and worth remembering.

What I've learnt about Microsoft Word this week makes me less inclined to get myself a copy. What Microsoft have done with Word 2010 makes me think that they're adding features to it just for the sake of adding them, not because people are actually going to use them on a regular basis. I think most people that use Windows will make more use of Wordpad and would never need anything as bloated as Word has become.

That little gripe done, I must note that I'm learning quite a few useful things that I can do with Photoshop and Flash, and we have started learning HTML (not that I've learnt anything new there, but I'm sure we will get into more aspects that I didn't know before). I've always thought that If you're going to produce web pages that you should learn HTML before learning to use tools that write the code for you as you may need to fine tune it after.

One thing I'm having trouble with since starting college is keeping up with my reading. I have more than 100 emails to get through and a number of blogs to read but no time. I'm even having trouble finding time on the weekend to try and catch up, especially with markets getting back to full swing. I guess I'm going to have to allocate some time tomorrow afternoon.

On a crafting note, I went to Benalla this morning for "Make it, Bake it, Grow it, Sell it". I got plenty of crafting done while I watched the few people that were around pass by. I did have manage to sell one item and have a few pleasant conversations, especially with one of my Ravelry friends that called in to say hello, but overall, it was a flop. Other stall holders reported the same thing, sales were well down on previous markets making this morning the worst result since they started going. Because of the distance and the price of the stall my "break even" point for this market is $50 but I only had $18 in sales meaning that I had a net loss of $32 for this morning's efforts. Ah well, maybe I'll do better next month and make up for it then.

Time to update my to-do list which currently looks like this:-


Things to make to replace stock for my market stall:

Pink booties
White booties and sunhat
2 teapot cosies
Bottle Cosies in more team colours

Current Work In Progress:

Rose Clan Dress Tartan Rug
Crochenit Cot Blanket (trying a method for doing rows that are longer than the hook)
Knitted Scarf
Toddlers Jacket
Jumper (sweater to you Americans) for me
Tea cloth in #40 cotton
Men's Afghan Stitch Gloves
Tommy Turtle
Set of Wine Glass Socks

Things I'm itching to get started on:
bag holders (I've been asked about these a couple of times so maybe I should start making them).
Crochenit Knee Rug (same as Cot Blanket and will also use up some of my stash of 8ply)
Crocheted Slocks
Something from my "99 Granny Squares" book
Something in Tunisian Crochet Lace (I'm thinking of modifying Ellen's Jacket pattern by substituting a lace stitch in the main body of the pattern)
Something from Ellen's new book.
A doily from an old pattern book I bought.
Australiana2.0 Table Runner
Banner for Stall
Table Runners for each Australian state and territory.
Tunisian Crochet Intarsia Table Runner

A lot of work to be done and so little time to do it.

I hope everyone had a good week.

Richard.

1 comment: